The Discerning Texan

All that is necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing.
-- Edmund Burke
Thursday, July 29, 2004

"What if he is right?"

Although their decidedly leftist editorial bent has always bothered me, I really enjoy reading Esquire magazine: I have been a subscriber on and off since way back in my college days.  Good writers, timely articles.  So imagine how surprised I was when one of its highly liberal contributors wrote an article this month entitled: "The Case for George W. Bush". This is no fluff piece, Bush takes his share of hits in the article.  But its author, Tom Junod points out that many partisan Democrats do not take the War on Terror or the dangers therein seriously enough. Junod concludes with these words:

"In a nation that loves fairy tales, the president seemed so damned eager to cry wolf that we decided he was just trying to keep us scared and that maybe he was just as big a villain as the wolf he insisted on telling us about. That's the whole point of the story, isn't it? The boy cries wolf for his own ends, and after a while people stop believing in the reality of the threat.
I know how this story ends, because I've told it many times myself. I've told it so many times, in fact, that I'm always surprised when the wolf turns out to be real, and shows up hungry at the door, long after the boy is gone."


Our enemies ARE real--and this author asks a question that every liberal Democrat should be asking right now:  what if Bush IS right?
DiscerningTexan, 7/29/2004 09:51:00 AM |