The Discerning Texan

All that is necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing.
-- Edmund Burke
Thursday, April 07, 2005

Coming clean on the Schiavo memo

Well, I was quick to accuse on this Schiavo memo mess, and I will be equally quick to admit I was on the wrong track with my suspicions. One of my readers put it very well:

"Well, The Memo turned out not to be a fake, contrary to what I, and others, thought. It was, nevertheless, very important to get at the source -- even though it turned out to be a Republican senator, a Republican senator who looked us straight in the eye and lied in hopes, I presume, of avoiding the consequences of an embarrassing gaffe.

It turned out to be worse and reminded us, or should have, that the words of politicians, of whatever stripe, ought to be greeted with skepticism and persistent investigative journalism. Only then can we get at some measure of the truth. I greatly admire Power Line and other bloggers who would not turn this issue loose or set it aside until they could help us all arrive at The Memo's source...."

It should not be lost on the mainstream media that had the blogs not been all over this (for whatever unfounded reasons), the truth might never have come out. For the last 12 months, big media has been getting their collective clocks cleaned by the "pajamadeen". And in our free society, where the public (supposedly anyway...) makes the laws, an influential group of citizens which can regularly assist the public in getting to the real truth, above and beyond the propaganda of the MSM, cannot be a bad thing.

UPDATE: I also appreciated Michelle Malkin's comments.
DiscerningTexan, 4/07/2005 08:13:00 PM |