The Discerning Texan

All that is necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing.
-- Edmund Burke
Friday, April 27, 2007

Don't Mess with the Discerning Texan (well, hopefully soon anyway...)

Going to be a slow posting day for me Saturday--at least during the day--because I need to spend 10 more hours completing my State Certification Training/Testing for my Concealed Carry License. This has involved involve extensive training on my part including my enlisting a Police Officer's private instruction in an intensive handgun course.

Tomorrow comes the State Course, the mandatory testing, and a thorough background check. But hey... in this crazy world, where any nutjob can walk into a mall (or anywhere else) and start killing innocents--or where a terror strike could knock out electricity for days or weeks--it is incumbent upon all responsible citizens to protect ourselves, our loved ones, and our country from those who would kill indiscriminately, or from those who would take advantage of a paralyzed society to try and impose gang rule or anarchy.

I am as kind and lovable as a teddy bear--but don't try messing with the lives of me or those dear to me... And no, this is not a reaction to Virginia Tech; it was planned long before. VT just put a punctuation mark on what I had already undertaken. Actually I have been reading up on the laws and practicing weekly at the range for a couple of months now. So hopefully tomorrow will go smoothly.

I was wrestling with whether or not to post on this subject, but--especially in light of recent events and what I have had to say on that topic, I am posting about my personal journey to punctuate my belief on the importance of taking personal responsibility for your safety. Every American should take whatever steps necessary to protect his/her family from those for whom life is not so precious. Call it practicing what I preach; yesterday I linked to one of the most eloquent posts on this topic I have read in quite some time. If you missed it, be sure and check it out here.


Hopefully I will be able to get a couple of posts in tomorrow night after the Training. See you then.

Wish me luck--and let this be a lesson: Don't mess with Texas!

Labels: ,

DiscerningTexan, 4/27/2007 08:01:00 PM |