The Discerning Texan

All that is necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing.
-- Edmund Burke
Sunday, April 15, 2007

My Grandmother, RIP 12/6/1907-4/15/2007

My 99-year old Grandmother passed away in her sleep last night. The family sort of knew it was coming, but as much as you know the day will come, you are never quite ready. And it was like waking up and being clubbed over the head with a bat.

She was born in a very different time, shortly after the Turn of the 20th Century: a time when America was still a young and untested World Power, there was no Income Tax, everyone had to pull their OWN weight (imagine that...), and the guns of the Civil War had only been silenced for 41 years. The horse was still the primary transportation mode, but that was gradually changing. Britannia actually DID rule the waves then. The Wright Brothers had just that year tested their biplane for the first time, and it had been one year since a Swiss Patent clerk named Einstein scribbled some small mathematical equations during his work-daydreaming. But at that time, most of the population of the planet was oblivious to this, and did not have a clue about the impact that "scribbling" would have on the entire world today.

My Grandmother went through two of the worst Wars in US or world history, the great Flu Epidemic, the Great Depression, Pearl Harbor, Victory Gardens, Newsreels, and V-E and V-J Day. When you think about what my Grandmother has been through and seen in her long life, it makes you sort of sit back in awe. It also makes you appreciate what a walking history book each elderly person is and can be--if we will only stop and spend more time with them.

The way we treat the elders in this society is a disgrace. But in today's 100mph world, I am not sure how to fix it. All I know is I wish I could have gotten down there to see my last remaining grandparent more often than I did--it was a long way, but now that she is gone, you cannot help but regret those weekends when some sporting event or some other "trivia" prevented what would have made us both richer. We need to find a way to honor our elders for what they have done--and can still do--for us.

But I did have the opportunity to take the 7 hour round-trip down to see her a couple of weeks ago--on one of her last "really good" days. She was happy to see us, chatty, and was much more affectionate than usual when she said goodbye. It almost is as if she knew it was the last time. Which is both wonderful and also it breaks my heart. She was so accepting of everyone and she held her cards pretty close to the vest--but she would let you know exactly what she thought when the spirit did move her. She had a long life, and it wasn't always easy for her. She deserves a medal for all that she had to put up with--but she did it with a smile and nary a complaint. She was always generous and kind throughout.

My "Grandmommie" is the last of four grandparents to pass away. I had the great good fortune of growing up and knowing all four of them quite well. As do all of us, they each one had their flaws and quirks that sometimes others who love them can only shake their heads and smile at. But I cannot imagine what my life would have been like without them. I am less because they are no longer on this plane--but I am much greater because I had so many years to know them well.

Today's parents (and even some grandparents) have different priorities, much busier lives, much less time to spend with their kids/grandkids. And the kids and grandkids are too worried about emulating Britney or Paris or K-Fed or Justin Timberlake or Brad Pitt to consider that potentially the most important people in their lives are right there in front of them--all they have to do is reach out and ask. What a tragedy.

My grandparents were so instrumental in teaching me the difference between right and wrong, good and evil, patriotism and betrayal of country. And in my case--a love of history and appreciation for what tough love means--on both a personal and at a macro-international level. And you know what? Despite their dragging a self-centered troubled kid kicking and screaming through the tumultouus 60's, somehow those lessons stuck. My Grandfathers both played keen to my sense of history and events and what America really means. Several of my grandparents had brothers who either died in World War I and/or II, or who at least fought in one of those horrific wars. But through all of the turmoil, roller-coaster ride of their own lives, my Grandmothers taught patience, kindness, forebearance, and service. God bless them all.

Obviously this week--especially later in the week--will be a slow posting week, if I even get to post at all (I will try but no promises...). But please bear with me and hang in there--I will be back strong after next weekend.

But first I have to say a last goodbye to a great and kind lady. In the meantime, why not go visit your elders. Ask them questions about how it was, about what is/was important--and why. Take it from me: you will treasure it the rest of your life. And you will regret it if you don't.

Labels: , , ,

DiscerningTexan, 4/15/2007 01:57:00 PM |