The Discerning Texan

All that is necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing.
-- Edmund Burke
Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Fred! is getting in!

July 4 appears to be the big day, with exploratory committee starting next week. I'm pretty pumped. I think Thompson has a chance to unite the party--especially the base--like no other candidate. Yes, I could also see Newt and Romney do well with the base, while Rudy will garner lots of war support but would likely lose many on the right who are wary of his stance on guns.

Hugh Hewitt seems to think Thompson's lymphoma could still play a negative role--and I can see where it might. However anyone who has been paying attention to Hewitt knows that in his heart of hearts he is squarely in Romney's camp.

Personally I'll vote for any Republican vs. a Marxist. But McCain's immigration stance might make me physically ill before pulling the lever for him. Fortuntately I don't think it will come to that. Rudy will be in until February, but I am not sure McCain will make it that far.

For now, I have to lean to Fred, although if Newt jumps in, it may give me pause for further reflection. Romney third. Rudy fourth. I like Huckabee, but he seems like a strong VP candidate at the moment.

Things are about to get very interesting.

ps - Mr. President: we know you want this horrible immigration bill. We know you think it is the right thing. We respectfully disagree. But please, please do not spend all of your War Capital on this Amnesty albatross. You are going to kill both the war effort and your own party if you do not back away from the Immigration question. We have to be united in the fall. So please stop dividing us now.

Labels: ,

DiscerningTexan, 5/30/2007 08:13:00 PM |