The Discerning Texan

All that is necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing.
-- Edmund Burke
Friday, December 28, 2007

Huckabee Claims Bolton Supports Him; Bolton says: "Nuts"

There is nothing I can really add to this. Astounding. This self-destruct may be worse than Howard Dean's:

I didn’t want to write yet another blast at Huckabee, honest. Like the movie says, I keep trying to get out but he just keeps pulling me back in. Over and over and over again.

And again. Oops! Huck did it again…

A few weeks back, Mike Huckabee touted Frank Gaffney among his foreign policy advisers. Gaffney is a serious guy. He’d be an asset to any campaign. But Gaffney was eventually asked about this purported relationship to the Arkansan, and responded memorably:

GAFFNEY: I think that’s cockamamie.

More recently, Huckabee has also claimed that former Ambassador John Bolton is among his advisers. Bolton would also be a great asset to any candidate. Perhaps Huckabee was trying to earn my vote? Whatever the case is, like Gaffney, Bolton was asked about this and responds memorably.

In recent days, Mike Huckabee has tried to answer long-standing questions about who is on his foreign policy team. On Friday morning, he listed former U.N. Ambassador John Bolton as someone with whom he either has “spoken or will continue to speak.”

At a Thursday evening press conference, Huckabee said, “I’ve corresponded with John Bolton, who’s agreed to work with us on developing foreign policy.”

Bolton, however, has a different view. “I’d be happy to speak with Huckabee, but I haven’t spoken with him yet,” said Bolton, now a senior fellow at the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative think tank in Washington.

“I’m not an official or unofficial adviser to anyone,” said Bolton, who mentioned he’d had conversations with other Republican candidates but refused to name any names.

So now that we know who isn’t advising Huckabee on foreign policy — twice now — perhaps at some point we’ll learn who actually is advising him. I’m not sure that asking Huckabee who his advisers are is the best way to find out who his advisers are.

Update: Not much I can add to this. No siree.

huck-nforeignpolicy.png

DiscerningTexan, 12/28/2007 11:19:00 PM |