The Discerning Texan

All that is necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing.
-- Edmund Burke
Sunday, January 27, 2008

Clinton Plants Knife in Obama's Back; Nutroots go beserk

Wow. Suddenly things aren't going the Clintons' way and they pull this?? I guess it all depends on what the word "delegates" really means? All is not well in the Democrat National Committee. It's a Brother vs. Sister, full contact, cage match. Blood sport. If this is not the classic Clintonian move, I don't know what is:

It’s blue-on-blue in-fighting again over in the land of the Donkeys. Hillary Clinton posted an announcement on her campaign website today that is causing aneurysms on the Left:

1/25/2008
Statement by Senator Hillary Clinton on the Seating of Delegates at the Democratic National Convention

“I hear all the time from people in Florida and Michigan that they want their voices heard in selecting the Democratic nominee.

“I believe our nominee will need the enthusiastic support of Democrats in these states to win the general election, and so I will ask my Democratic convention delegates to support seating the delegations from Florida and Michigan. I know not all of my delegates will do so and I fully respect that decision. But I hope to be President of all 50 states and U.S. territories, and that we have all 50 states represented and counted at the Democratic convention.

“I hope my fellow potential nominees will join me in this.

“I will of course be following the no-campaigning pledge that I signed, and expect others will as well.”

As Poligazette explains, Hill is trying to change the rules in the middle of the game:

Hillary Clinton is now arguing that the convention should seat the delegates from Michigan and Florida that everyone agreed shouldn’t be seated. Whether that decision was right or wrong, every Democratic candidate in the race agreed not to campaign in those states because of their (too-)early primary dates, and every major candidate but Hillary withdrew their name from the Michigan ballot. Because of her massive edge in name recognition and because no advertising or debates took place in Florida, Hillary has essentially won by default in both states. Having “won” a considerable number of delegates solely because no one else contested the races, all of a sudden she is struck by the manifest unfairness of not seating the delegates — and just in time for a) a bounce in the Florida poll for sticking up for them, and b) Obama to have no chance to contest the Florida race!

The nutroots are up in arms, pointing fingers, and complaining about Hill’s musclewoman tactics. Obama’s response is here.

DiscerningTexan, 1/27/2008 08:40:00 PM |