The Discerning Texan

All that is necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing.
-- Edmund Burke
Monday, January 14, 2008

Newt did NOT endorse Huckabee

There was a rumor circulating a week or so ago that Newt Gingrich was in Huckabee's camp, a rumor which I found to be profoundly disturbing.

The good news is that Gingrich vehemently denied this rumor today:

REPORTS THAT NEWT GINGRICH IS BACKING HUCKABEE turn out to be false:

Also, there has been some speculation that I have endorsed a Republican candidate or that I am supporting a particular candidate “behind the scenes.” Nothing can be further from the truth. The fact is that I have offered my advice to any candidate that wants it and have had personal conversations with several candidates on a number of issues. My goal is to help every candidate be the best they can be. I want the strongest possible field because ultimately that will lead to a stronger America.

That's too bad in a way -- I had thought that if Newt was supporting Huckabee, Huckabee had to be less of a big-government social engineer than I feared. Newt's also blogging about his new book, which sounds interesting.

Besides being ecstatic that this rumor was wrong, I cannot help but wonder where and how this rumor got started in the first place.

In any detective story one goes first to motive: who benefits from this rumor? And is there any question who benefits from this one? If Huckabee or his staff did indeed plant the rumor, it certainly serves to underscore the inherent dishonesty, win-at-all-costs, all things to all people, nothing is sacred...Clintonian aspect of the Huckster. And there is plenty of other evidence to go around.

DiscerningTexan, 1/14/2008 08:53:00 PM |