The Discerning Texan

All that is necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing.
-- Edmund Burke
Sunday, May 03, 2009

Whittle for President!

When Bill Whittle heard about Jon Stewart calling Harry Truman a "war criminal" for dropping the bomb on Hiroshima (during an argument on waterboarding...), Whittle did his homework and made a video rebuttal that is second to none.

This video does to Stewart's lame argument what "Little Boy" did to Hiroshima. Watch the whole thing.

It is this kind of video that gets me to daydreaming.....President Whittle? And no, I am not kidding; Whittle would make a tremendously impressive and articulate candidate for our cause.

If you think about it, there are some interesting parallels here. Whittle's Hollywood background and his work on behalf of PJTV could be said to be a modern-day equivalent of another great man's Hollywood background, and some subsequent TV work on GE Theater. Coincidence?

I will say this, straight from my heart to Mr. Whittle: if you ever do run for national office, you can count on my full time help. Wherever, whenever. I think you would be that good. And never has the country needed someone that good so desperately.

I can understand why Glenn Reynolds suggests that you might not want to participate in the ugliness that you would no doubt have to endure in order to get elected. But I am equally sure that those Marines about to hit the beaches at Okinawa were not really wanting to disembark from their landing craft either. But they did it anyway. "Ask not what your country can do for you..."

I have no illusions that one letter from an obscure blogger is going to convince you to throw your hat in the ring; but I hope it will inspire some thought, and perhaps some more input from others.

These are the facts: In the face of a Marxist President with the seeming ability to appear to be all things to all people, never have smooth, articulate and passionate voices for our founding principles been needed more that they are needed now. Your Silent America and your work on Eject! Eject Eject! has moved me beyond words; your PJTV work has sold me on your "telegenic presence" and an unquestionable ability to get your message across powerfully in today's media-addicted society.

The rest comes down to: willingness to sacrifice personal comforts, raising lots of money, getting your message out, and putting up with the hate and venom that would no doubt be mobilized against you (louder and angrier the bigger the threat to Statists that you become). Not an easy decision.

Just know that there is one American who is ready to go to work for you and to stand with you beginning to end, should you decide to enter the battle.

And I know I am not the only one.

UPDATE: A grassroots movement in the making? Well a link from Glenn Reynolds certainly doesn't hurt... (Many thanks, sir!). I just hope Bill is listening to the responses that the mere suggestion has already generated.

Also I neglected earlier to mention another parallel with Reagan: Whittle used to be a Democrat (thus the title and premise behind Eject! Eject! Eject!).

So where do I get a bumper sticker? Let's organize this thing!
DiscerningTexan, 5/03/2009 01:38:00 PM |