The Discerning Texan
All that is necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing.
-- Edmund Burke
-- Edmund Burke
Thursday, April 12, 2007
In the end, preferential treatment trumps Imus in battle for Airwaves
Yes, what Don Imus said was definitely racist. The problem is: Imus has been making these kinds of pronouncements for years. So why fire him now? Well, obviously some races are more "worthy" of protection than others. Sharpton and Jackson's anti-Semitism weren't worthy--but this episode isn't about "Hymietown".
I am not condoning what Imus said. But I am pointing out there is a double standard at play. Imus has been sliming people, races, and religions for years. Perhaps it is just the thin skin of certain African-American paid extortion artists--but I doubt it. And I won't even get into to the rappers and what they do: on networks like CBS, Comedy Central, HBO, etc... No, one gets the feeling that this isn't really about "decorum". This is something else...
My guess is they will use this to try and promote regulation of what can and cannot be said on the airwaves. First Amendment? What's that? And it is only a small step from there to "equal time". There is a reason why they are raising such a stink about this. Imus is just a pawn in the way.
Rick Moran has more to say about this.
UPDATE: It is heartening to see that a guy like Neil Boortz agrees with my theory.
I am not condoning what Imus said. But I am pointing out there is a double standard at play. Imus has been sliming people, races, and religions for years. Perhaps it is just the thin skin of certain African-American paid extortion artists--but I doubt it. And I won't even get into to the rappers and what they do: on networks like CBS, Comedy Central, HBO, etc... No, one gets the feeling that this isn't really about "decorum". This is something else...
My guess is they will use this to try and promote regulation of what can and cannot be said on the airwaves. First Amendment? What's that? And it is only a small step from there to "equal time". There is a reason why they are raising such a stink about this. Imus is just a pawn in the way.
Rick Moran has more to say about this.
UPDATE: It is heartening to see that a guy like Neil Boortz agrees with my theory.
Labels: PC, Racial Politics, Thought Police


































