The Discerning Texan
-- Edmund Burke
Tuesday, July 24, 2007
Offensive? Yes. Ridiculous? Not by a long shot
Scott Johnson of Power Line has more:
It is gratifying to see this getting out in the open, the CIA's lame denials aside.We've previously noted the new book Sabotage by Rowan Scarborough. Scarborough's book explores the CIA's efforts to undermine the Bush administration. It is a subject that we have written about here frequently over the past several years. John explored the subject in the Standard column "Leaking at all costs," as I did in "Three years of the Condor."
Scarborough states his thesis clearly in the introduction of the book, begining on page 1 with his discussion of a May 2006 letter by Rep. Pete Hoekstra to President Bush. In the letter Hoekstra states that "a strong and well-positioned group within the agency undermined the administration and its policies." Scarborough illustrates his thesis with numerous episodes involving CIA officers. Many of these episodes have previously been reported, such as the disclosure of the Washington Post's CIA secret prisons that John discusses in his Standard column. Scarborough notes that fired CIA employee Mary McCarthy was apparently a key source for that story.
Scarborough also discusses the opposition of former CIA Near East and South Asia national intelligence officer Paul Pillar to Bush administration foreign policy. Scarborough does not discuss the undisputed September 2004 incident reported by Robert Novak involving Pillar's remarks at a private dinner in California. Steve Hayes summarized the incident for the Standard:
Pillar's "management team" at the CIA, where he was employed as the national intelligence officer on the Near East/South Asia desk, approved [Pillar's] appearance. According to Novak, the ground rules for the speech were based on the "Lindley Rule," which holds that the speaker, his audience and the event are not to be disclosed, "but the substance of what he said can be reported." That substance, apparently, was a harsh assessment of the Bush administration's handling of Iraq.Think about that: A senior, unelected CIA official--Paul Pillar--was given agency approval to anonymously attack Bush administration policies less than two months before the November 2, 2004, presidential election. That Pillar was among the most strident of these frequent critics--usually in off-the-record speeches to gatherings of foreign policy experts and business leaders--was well known to his colleagues in the intelligence community and to Bush administration policymakers. His was not an isolated case; CIA officials routinely trashed Bush administration policy decisions, often with official approval, in the months leading up to the Iraq War and again before the election. Pillar, who had complained to a CIA spokesman that someone had violated the ground rules by providing his name to Novak, simply got caught.
Labels: CIA Sabotage, Democrat Sabotage, Intelligence War against Bush Admin, The Left
Thursday, July 19, 2007
Read the Judge's Lips Valerie: Case Dismissed
Meanwhile Tom McGuire is saying "I told you so."
As they say in basketball: Re-jec-ted! Heh.
Labels: CIA Sabotage, Intelligence War against Bush Admin, Plame
Monday, July 16, 2007
Documenting the Saboteurs Inside the CIA
The second I finish this post I am going to order my own copy of this book. This is a much-neglected but very important story; Valerie Plame was the tip of the iceberg--and that's not just The Good Shepherd talking...For years, Rowan Scarborough has distinguished himself through his coverage of military affairs, first for the Washington Times and now for the Examiner. This week, the Examiner is publishing excerpts from Scarborough's new book Sabotage, which tells the story of the CIA's war against President Bush.
In the first installment, Scarborough describes the CIA's war with the Defense Department, which began shortly after 9/11 when DoD (through veteran analyst Michael Maloof) asked the CIA to provide intelligence reports about al Qaeda's links to other terrorist organizations and sponsors of terrorism. According to Scarborough, the CIA flatly refused to provide this material.
Only after Paul Wolfowitz intervened did the CIA disgorge its reports. When DoD used them to produce a 150-slide briefing on contacts among al Qaeda, Iraq and Iran, the CIA (in Scarborough's telling) went ballistic. Soon, Democratic lawmakers like Carl Levin began charging that Douglas Feith (Defense Secretary Rumsfeld's top civilian advisor) had set up an illegal organization. According to Scarborough, "Levin, using the friendly Washington Post and New York Times, launched a campaign against a 'rogue' intelligence cell inside the Defense Department."
Monday, July 02, 2007
UPDATED: Bush Commutes Libby's Sentence
I haven't been exactly wild about the President's stance on the "all or nothing" Immigration Bill, I feel he has been way to conciliatory towards the Democrats in general, and Condi Rice has gone over to the Dark Side; with that said, when the President gets something right, he deserves recognition. Obviously he will take some flak from the Left for this. But everyone knows this was a "show trial" and that Libby should never have even gotten to the point where his testimony was needed--after all the egomanical Fitzgerald already knew who the leaker was before Libby ever was interviewed by the Grand Jury. This was a pure fishing expedidtion, by a prosecutor who could not bear for all that time and money to have been viewed the total waste that it was.
Stay tuned. Official announcement supposedly to come soon.
Well done, Mr. President.
UPDATE: The al-Associated Press has the story now.
UPDATE: Fred Thompson is quick to support the move. And Kathryn Jean Lopez feels a bit better about the Prez, too.
Labels: CIA Sabotage, Intelligence War against Bush Admin, Libby, Media Bias, Patrick Fitzgerald, Plame, Travesty of Justice
Thursday, June 14, 2007
UPDATED Libby Ordered Jailed
UPDATE: Tom McGuire says to expect jail to happen soon... unless the President intervenes
Labels: CIA Sabotage, Intelligence War against Bush Admin, Libby, Media Bias, Plame, Travesty of Justice
Thursday, June 07, 2007
Theory: Walton is HOPING Bush will Pardon Libby to avoid the humiliation of Overturn
Of particular interest to me are the particulars of the Appeal Petition--particularly Judge Walton's refusal to admit Andrea Mitchell's testimony--and what the ramifications may entail for this Federal Judge who clearly overstepped his bounds multiple times here. This is an interesting play for President Bush--who owes it to Libby to keep him from doing hard time--but who could also be completely vindicated (along with Libby) should Walton's sloppy handling of the case lead to the decision being overturned. Stay tuned.
Labels: CIA Sabotage, Intelligence War against Bush Admin, Libby, Media Bias, Plame, Travesty of Justice
Wednesday, June 06, 2007
House Republicnas want Probe of CIA/ABC Leak
And while you are at it, Mr. President, how about pardoning Scooter Libby, whose only crime was defending the Administration's legitimate policy in Iraq.
Labels: CIA Sabotage, Intelligence War against Bush Admin, Libby, Media Bias, Media War
Thursday, May 24, 2007
Towering Idiocy and Irresponsibility
Read the whole thing.When the history of these times is written 100 years from now – that is, if the west is vouchsafed such a luxury as surviving that long – historians will view the role of the free press in the western world with a combination of confusion and awe. Confusion because they will look in vain for evidence that many in the media were actually working for the enemies of freedom, so often it seemed they played directly into their hands or seemed to do their bidding. And a feeling of awe that those professing to be so intelligent could act with such towering idiocy and irresponsibility:
The CIA has received secret presidential approval to mount a covert “black” operation to destabilize the Iranian government, current and former officials in the intelligence community tell the Blotter on ABCNews.com. The sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the subject, say President Bush has signed a “nonlethal presidential finding” that puts into motion a CIA plan that reportedly includes a coordinated campaign of propaganda, disinformation and manipulation of Iran’s currency and international financial transactions.
Of course, the press is not disloyal – at least not according to their lights. But I can’t think of anything that ABC could have published that helps Iran more. Especially since it now appears that, as I have predicted many times (and despite what the hysterical left has been saying for two years about an “imminent” attack on Iran) the Administration has apparently abandoned the military option in favor of turning up the heat on the Iranian regime politically and financially.
Or, at least that was the plan. Enter ABC News and their feelings of entitlement to undermine US policy and all of a sudden, the military option may be back on the table. This begs the question of who or what faction in our intelligence agencies leaked this time? Pro-war advocates? Anti-intervention advocates? Some stray partisans who hate Bush? Some stray partisans doing the President’s bidding? Perhaps those involved in a turf war of some kind in our intelligence agencies?
Take your pick. One is as good as the other. It wouldn’t be the first time for any of those factions in the last 6 years to leak classified information. It’s just that this time, the leaking has arguably made the world a more dangerous place.
Labels: CIA Sabotage, Intelligence War against Bush Admin, Iran, Media Bias, Media War, Nuclear
Wednesday, May 23, 2007
Does CIA leak mean it is time to try again with an Intelligence Agency that works FOR America
That may well be, but if American lives are lost because of this leak, the overall situation in Iran is secondary in my mind when it comes to this treason from within. Those Agents are sworn to secrecy under penalty of prison. Someone is breaking that promise and endangering American personnel and American strategic objectives in WAR. In my book whoever is guilty of these leaks should rot in jail--and so should any ABC News source that does not give them up.
If ever Alberto Gonzales were to grow a pair, now would be an appropriate time.
Labels: CIA Sabotage, Intelligence War against Bush Admin, Iran
Tuesday, May 22, 2007
ABC Leaks Secret order from Bush to CIA re: Iran
I'm not going to say anything else right now because my emotions are running pretty strong. But we are being betrayed from within by our media and I for one am sick of it and them.
P.S. - Mr. President: take off the gloves--against the leaker, against ABC, AND against the Islamic Republic of Iran.
Labels: CIA Sabotage, Intelligence War against Bush Admin, Iran, Media Bias, Media War
Friday, May 11, 2007
UPDATED How the CIA Failed America
UPDATE: We have seen how Democrats got us here in the first place; now here is a superb analysis by Christopher Alleva as to why it would be an absolute catastrophe to entrust the Democrats with National Security now.
Labels: CIA Sabotage, Intelligence, Intelligence War against Bush Admin
Monday, March 19, 2007
When "The Administration" means "The Company"
Cartoon by Gary Varvel (click to enlarge)
Labels: CIA Sabotage, Democrat Sabotage, Intelligence War against Bush Admin, Plame
Thursday, March 08, 2007
What HE Said
Scooter Libby is a convicted perjurer because the United States Department of Justice grossly abused its power and because politics short-circuited all the safeguards that are supposed to prevent such abuses. This is one of the most appalling perversions of a civilized judicial system since France sent Alfred Dreyfus to Devil's Island because the ruling elite didn't like Jews.
If the appellate and executive review processes fail as badly as the investigative and trial processes did in Libby's case, Libby will go to a federal penitentiary because Democrats don't like Republicans. There is enough shame in this outcome to go around.
Patrick Fitzgerald is a disgrace both to the legal profession and to the human race. His partisan allies, such as Senator Chuck Schumer and certain nameless bureaucrats at the CIA, are beneath contempt. The jury was unfit for its task, because it was apparently both prejudiced and intellectually incapable of noticing that the prosecution had no case. The trial judge lacked either the wit to see a gross miscarriage of justice unfolding before his eyes or the courage to stop it. But ultimate responsibility for Fitzgerald's outrageous misconduct lies with his boss.
Labels: CIA Sabotage, Intelligence War against Bush Admin, Libby, Plame
Wednesday, February 14, 2007
Fred Thompson BLISTERS Fitz
Labels: CIA Sabotage, Intelligence War against Bush Admin, Plame
The CIA Again shows its True Colors
Labels: CIA Sabotage, Intelligence War against Bush Admin, Iran
Friday, February 09, 2007
Plame Trial: "I Love the Smell of Dropped Felony Charges in the Morning
UPDATE: Meanwhile the depth of the Washington Post's misreporting of this trial is breathtaking.
Labels: CIA Sabotage, Intelligence War against Bush Admin, Judicial, Libby, Plame
Thursday, February 08, 2007
Coming Up: Turning Point of Libby Trial
Labels: CIA Sabotage, Intelligence War against Bush Admin, Judicial, Libby
Monday, February 05, 2007
Fitz goes up for the shot...Re-jected! (Again!)
This of course is precisely what Libby says happened to him when he originally testified that he learned about Plame on a different date than other reporters' testimony shows.
Fitz is taking on water, and it is breaking my heart. Let's just say his FG percentage in this particular "game" is not breaking any records...
Labels: Bush Administration, CIA Sabotage, Democrat Sabotage, Judicial, Libby, Media Bias, Media War
Wednesday, January 31, 2007
Media WAY out in Left Field on Libby Trial
UPDATE: Prosecution 'Star Witness' Judith Miller: "I don't recall." Any jury who would convict Libby based on the events so far have got to be blind and deaf. And definitely dumb.
Labels: Bush Administration, CIA Sabotage, Libby, Media Bias
Monday, January 22, 2007
Hiding the Truth as Standard Operating Procedure
Bob Baer , a longtime CIA case officer in the Middle East, had a similar experience. He had lost close friends in the bombing of the American Embassy in Beirut in the early eighties, and every time he tried to find out who had killed them, he ran into a stone wall. He was constantly told that we just did not know. But he persisted, just as Scott Johnson did, and he too arrived at the truth: the bombing of the Embassy had been an act of war by the Iranian regime, using Palestinian terrorists to carry out the actual suicide mission. He too found that “we” had known about it all along, but the truth had been suppressed for two decades.Why? Because those who controlled the information didn’t want the top policy maker—Ronald Reagan—to know it, since they “knew” he would not let it pass, and they didn’t want trouble with Iran.
I, too, had a similar experience. I helped organize meetings in Rome in December, 2001, with Pentagon Iran experts and knowledgeable Iranians. They provided information about Iranian killers in Afghanistan, whose mission was to kill American soldiers. The information was accurate, and the would-be killers did not accomplish their mission (I hope they were killed, but I am not privy to that information). Shortly thereafter, Secretary of State Powell and his deputy, Richard Armitage, with the agreement of Director of Central Intelligence Tenet, demanded that all such contacts be terminated. Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld gave orders that no Pentagon employee speak to “Iranians” (which prompted one Iranian-American official to ask if conversations with parents were included in the order).
Why? Because they did not want trouble with Iran, and they “knew” that if President Bush had that information, he would not let it pass.
We have now had further examples of this sort of lie. We now know that top American officials have known all along that Iran has been waging war on us in Iraq, but this information has been suppressed.
Why? Because they, too did not want trouble with Iran. Military leaders did not want a two-front war (even though it should have been obvious, even before the onset of Operation Iraqi Freedom, that we were engaged in a regional war, whatever our wishes were), and the spooks and diplomats convinced themselves that we could cut a deal with the mullahs.
Lots of lying, as you see, but the biggest lie of all is the lie the liars told themselves: the monstrous lie that we can arrive at peace with our enemies without first defeating them.
I am told that we have discovered truly explosive information about the Iranian role in Iraq in the recent raids in Baghdad and Irbil, the raids that led to the arrest of high officers in the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps. I believe we are all entitled to that information. To be sure, some of it may be “actionable intelligence,” which must be kept secret—even from the New York Times—until we have acted on it. But the American people are entitled to know the big picture, which is the one some of us have been painting for many years: Iran is waging war on us, killing our soldiers, slaughtering Iraqis, enabling Hizbollah in Lebanon, empowering Hamas and Islamic Jihad in their war against Israel.
The American people cannot properly judge our performance in this war unless they know its true dimensions. The president must provide us with that basic truth.
Labels: CIA Sabotage, Intelligence, Intelligence War against Bush Admin, President Bush, State Department Sabotage, US Politics


































